Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mapping went great...now working on more speech!

So our last mapping appointment went wonderfully! Evan was a trooper as normal and responded well to sound as they set each processor. For most of the session he played and hummed along with the beeps, but by the end, he had had ENOUGH! It was nap time and so the last few minutes he really could have cared less what we were doing! For a 1 yr old I am amazed at how well he really does do! It actually worked out great, because eletrophisiology was next, perfect nap time~ he slept through the entire appt. and then we were done! Unfortunantely his speech appointment was cancelled at the last minute, so hopefully it will get rescheduled for next time!

After some research and deliberation, we decided to get Evan referred for some additional speech services. For you parents who have been through this already, you know how hard this can be!

We are not located near a school for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing, but we do have great Area Education Resources and distance learning courses available through various schools. So I have signed up for the John Tracy School Distance Learning program and also have started our path towards additional support services through our local outpatient hospital services. Evan's TOD is amazing and will continue to work with him weekly...His AEA speech pathologist is also good with him and has been able to commit to twice a month! We will take as much as we can get, but after some digging and suggestions from his CI team, we had his evaluation for weekly speech as outpatient service in Mason City as well. Although it's a jaunt, it's so worth it! His speech therapist there is Wendy and seemed very excited to work with him. She supported the importance of early intervention and early speech development! I am excited to work with her and to watch Evan as he continues to progress!

I know as parents, Rich and I are his primary educators, but I am not trained to do his therapy! I will do all of our homework, play, and be the best advocate I can be! I vow to be the best mommy I can and seek out as many resources that I can to benefit him! I am really eager to continue this journey, and watch my Deaf baby learn to listen and eventually Speak!

1 comment:

  1. The Listening Room, on the AB site also has some great ideas too. http://www.hearingjourney.com/Listening_Room/preview.cfm?langid=1

    ReplyDelete